Thursday 2 June 2011

Five lessons on how to work with love

1. Do what you love... and don't settle for less. Don't just work for money or survival. Find something you love doing. When you do what you love, you'll be so fired up by it that you'll be an extraordinary contribution no matter where you go. To work at Pixar, you have to love telling stories. What do you love doing at your current job?

2. Love what you do... while you look for what you love doing. There's no ideal job. Every job has a certain percentage of shit-shoveling. So, in the words of Mother Teresa, do small things with great love. Pour your love and heart out on humble tasks - like washing dishes, doing the laundry, writing that memo for your boss.

3. Tell someone at work: "I love you." Okay, wait! Before you do this... If you think you'll be sued or hauled before the Risk Management Committee, try this instead. From the bottom of your heart, tell a colleague, "I value your friendship." Or declare to your coworker at the completion of a project, "Dude, you're fabulous." And watch their faces light up.

4. Always respond with love. Love is not merely about romance. Love is tough. "Love," says 1st century philosopher Paul of Tarsus, "never gives up, always trusts, always hopes, and always endures." Key word: always. So make a decision today that you will never betray, manipulate or write anyone off. Remember this decision when you face bad bosses or backstabbing colleagues.

5. Accept being loved. Last week, I met my mentor and co-author, Paul Stevens. He'd flown from Canada to Singapore, and from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, just to see me and my wife. For one day. And he insisted on paying for lunch. And he hugged us when we said goodbye. "I love you," he said. I felt deeply accepted. Paul's powerful words of affirmation made me strong and gave me courage to keep on writing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment