Tuesday 5 July 2011

Could my mentor be wrong?

"Who you relate to is more important than what you do."

James M. Houston, a former Oxford professor who founded a world-famous theological institution, wrote this. He's now in his late-80s. But his mind is as sharp as ever. Leaders from all over the world seek his counsel and wisdom. He's a mentor's mentor. He's also well-known for uttering profound epithets -- such as the one above.

I sought him out as my mentor years ago. He lived in Vancouver. Early in the morning, I'd pedal my mountain bike, up and down seven hills, to reach his house overlooking the gorgeous sea. We'd walk together for 45 minutes. I'd ask him questions, and he'd respond. He's one of the wisest people I've ever known.

But what if Houston is wrong on this count?

Let's flip the thing around: What you do is more important than who you relate to.

That sounds pretty good, too, doesn't it?

What do you think? Which statement holds more truth especially in your current workplace?

And does it matter?

0 comments:

Post a Comment